Hello Guest!
Reply To: Mei Ban Fa..
Most popular topics Topics with no replies

• September 3, 2019 at 1:23 pm

I think it’s more than ‘lazy’ or money, and instead there’s some fascinating cultural piece in it.  As a Chinese person, I find many of us would love to assume some type of ‘authority’ over our peer citizens who equal us in the same/similar social-economic stratum.  Chinese people tend to give way more respect (and/or obedience), than most westerners do, to the folks in positions high up there in gov’t departments, cooperate hierarchy etc. On the other hand, when it comes to their/our peers of the same socioeconomic status, there’s always an obvious effort to assume authority on something.  In the case of the tailor’s, what I pictured was that you gave ‘too much’ information and directions which put yourself in a position of absolute authority (in their perception) over them.  You probably described your window dimensions, showed them the fabric, illustrated your drawing, and told them what to do.  My understanding of the dynamic is :  they perfectly understood you actually,  n they presented some difficulty (of sides trimming) from their expertise;  Then you didn’t buy and tried to push it over; Then they FEEL the threat to their authority on the matter; Then they got stubborn and told you to go?  Man if I were you, i would just show them the drawing and the fabric, played dumb and let THEM figure out what to do..  They probably would quickly take authority,  wrack their brain and prolly get to the same solution before happily performing the alternation.